Inspiring people to work together to build a more vibrant and stronger community

follow: @arlemjm

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Pino Suárez Market in Mazatlán caught on fire, being forced to change after 110 years.

Unlike many other Mexican resorts, Mazatlán still reflects its historic heritage. The Pino Suárez Market is one of the Highlights of Viejo Mazatlán (old Mazatlan). Not only is the market an excellent place to find fresh produce and food, the colorful market is one of the most photogenic spots in Mazatlán. The historic landmark was forced to change after 110 years. On Thursday night at around 11:00 p.m. The Pino Suárez Market in Mazatlán caught on fire, leaving about a quarter of the market burned, although the main structure seems sound. Fortunately, the market was closed an no one was inside at the time.

This indecent hits close to home because I was born and raised in Mazatlan. The memories of me going to this market with my grandmother are endless. I remember going with her more than once a week, including Sundays after church. As a little girl, I remember walking behind her and paying attention to every single detail. Everything fascinated me. The colors, the people, the food, the smells, and my favorite part; the seafood I got to eat after she was done running errands and the candy her friends gave to me while I patiently waited for them to finish their business.

I went down to Mazatlan last year in April. I walked around the market, like I do every time I go. I said hi to my grandma's friends and said hi to my grandpa. Every time I go down there, something is different. New streets, more hotels, a new Home Depot, an office Max, Starbucks, the only thing that remained the same until last Thursday was the market. Something about me walking through that market made me smile. I'm graduating on June, so I'm not really sure if I'll have the funds or time to go down there before then. I'm sure its going to be emotional. In the meantime, all those families who lost their stores are in my thoughts.





Images taken from the local newspaper. http://www.noroeste.com.mx/ --


Share:
© j.a.Molina Creative | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig