Inspiring people to work together to build a more vibrant and stronger community

follow: @arlemjm

Thursday, July 7, 2016

How To Bring The 5 Feng Shui Elements Into Your Home



Balance seems to be the key to everything.
That may sound like an oddly vague yet bold statement, but again and again I find that imbalance often leads to negative outcomes; and balance, to positive ones. From the foods we eat and the clothes we wear, to the overall lifestyles we live, it’s all about balance – and home décor is no different.

The ancient Chinese art and practice of feng shui aims to create a space that allows chi or qi – the energy of the universe – to flow naturally. One way to achieve this is by filling your home with a healthy balance of the five feng shui elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water.



The wood element relates to natural growth and vibrant health. I love to fill my home with tree branches, wooden bowls, raw wood shelves, and driftwood collected from walks on the beach. Another awesome way to bring this element inside is to decorate with houseplants – especially ones that help purify the air, like these. Incorporating rectangular shapes and tones of brown and green into your home will increase the presence of this element, as well. The wood element is most necessary in the feng shui bagua areas of the East, Southeast, and South.



The fire element brings about high energy levels, fuels passion, and fosters the expression of creativity. A great way to introduce this element to your home is with candles and fireplaces, of course! I love clustering several candles together and burning them all at once. You could also try decorating with angular shapes like triangles and stars, as these are symbolic of the fire element. As for colors, go for fiery hues like red, orange, bold yellow, purple, and pink. The bagua areas that benefit most from the fire element are the South and the Southwest.



The earth element helps to generate nourishment, knowledge, and stability in your life. My favorite way to harness this element is by decorating with gorgeous stones and crystals I’ve collected throughout the years. I find that creating different designs with them is quite a therapeutic, meditative practice for me. Terracotta planters and natural salt rock lamps are two more fun ways to get your earth element fix. You can also decorate with square shapes and sandy colors, including light yellow and light brown. The earth element works best in bagua areas of the Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, West, and Center.



The metal element helps cultivate strength, focus, and independence. Most of the metal decorations in my home are beautiful ornate vases and candle holders that I’ve found at flea markets and thrift stores. One of my favorites is the one you see above, which I filled with hand-painted feathers. Some other ways to incorporate the metal element are through picture frames, sculptures, and wind chimes. Round shapes can be used as an expression of the metal element, as well as the colors white and gray. Feng shui bagua areas of the North, West, and Northwest are favorable for this element.



The water element is all about wealth, abundance, and fluidity. Lately I’ve found myself yearning for a decorative fountain to add in the corner of my bedroom – I realize now that I’ve probably been subconsciously feeling a lack of presence of the water element in my decor. Until I find that perfect fountain, I’m decorating with mirrors, as well as a bowl filled with water. I love the bowl idea because I can change the way it’s decorated every day – adding things like floating candles or beautiful petals that have fallen to the ground. Fluid shapes, as well as the colors blue and black, are another way to incorporate the water element into your décor. This element is most welcomed in the North, East, and Southeast bagua areas.



How are you bringing the 5 feng shui elements into your house?
Share:
© j.a.Molina Creative | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig